14 Jul Country Baskets Case Study
Country Baskets is the largest UK wholesaler of floral sundries, artificial flowers, giftware, pottery and glass. Having numerous branches across the UK with one of the largest being based in East Ardsley near Leeds.
The site itself is quite impressive being a large old mill complex with the traditional high chimneys and red brick construction.
QSec where contacted by Country Baskets to advise them on how best to secure the sites substation. The substation had been attacked on numerous occasions resulting in extensive damage and the theft of expensive copper cable. This was not only a security issue but one of health and safety as well. The substation was currently secured with wooden doors which had been breached by intruders resulting in the damage to the generator and the theft of copper cables.
The brief was relatively simple, to replace the existing old wooden doors with strong multipoint locking steel doors. Plus to somehow protect the vulnerable cables within the substation that feed into the transformers.
The doors to be replaced include one single door and a double door with a steel infill panel above it. We decided to use the QSec multipoint locking door with the following specifications.
- 2 x 1mm or 0.6mm pre-lacquered cold rolled steel sheets depending on door chosen
- 15mm anti-jemmy lips to all edges
- Powder coated to RAL 7045 Grey finish
- 50mm thickness
- Rockwool filling (on 1hr fire proof type) offering thermal and acoustic resistance
- Honey Comb Filling on standard (non tested) door
- 1 or 2mm cold rolled frame depending on the door chosen
- Adjustable frame covers 880mm-940mm, 980mm – 1040mm
- 2 x anti-jemmy hinge bolts
- 3 x fixing points on each side of the frame
- Heat expandable rubber seals
- Adjustable Threshold
- Multi-point locking system
- Drill and impact locking mechanism
- Euro Cylinder
The heavy duty steel panel designed to fit around the numerous cables protruding from the fuse boxes was constructed from 3mm thick steel and measure 1400mm w x 900mm h x 440mm d. Due to its size and weight it took two people to carry it and manoeuvre it into place.
With the new steel doors now installed and the steel security panel protecting the cables the installation was completed in less than a day.